Clinical Trial Sites and Networks
COVAX and BMGF have separately provided bridge funding to experienced clinical trial sites around the world in preparation for an unprecedented number of concurrent Phase III clinical trials with new COVID-19 specific infrastructure, physical capacity, and staffing requirements. These sites were selected in partnership with product development partners, who are working to ensure that these sites are ready for Phase III COVID-19 vaccine trials. Site readiness will be confirmed by independent consultants using harmonized criteria. This dashboard provides a high level overview of study sites that have received supportive COVAX or BMGF funding to improve capacity to conduct phase 3 efficacy studies for Covid-19 vaccines in coming months. This dashboard will be updated regularly:
Please find below a list of other site networks which may be valuable contacts for COVID-19 trials. It should be noted, however, that neither COVAX nor CEPI can accept responsibility for the quality of the investigational sites and this is not to be understood as a recommendation of the networks or individual sites within the networks.
- COVPN site network
- African coalition for Epidemic Research, Response and Training (ALERRT)
- Pan- African Network for Rapid Research, Response and Preparedness for Infectious Diseases Epidemics (PANDORA-ID-NET)
- West Africa Network for TB, AIDS and Malaria (WANETAM)
- East Africa Consortium for Clinical Research (EACCR)
- Central African Network on TB, HIV/AIDS and malaria (CANTAM)
- Trials of Excellence for Southern Africa (TESA) Network
- IAVI Clinical Research Network
- African Academy of Sciences Clinical Trials Community
- European Vaccine Trial Accelerator Platform
- Vaccine Alliance Aotearoa New Zealand – Ohu Kaupare Huaketo (VAANZ)
Operational Preparedness Database – COVID-19-specific information on Regulatory and Ethics requirements as well as other operational details by country
Vaccine Development Landscape
Epidemiology and Modelling
NEWCheck out the report titled: An efficient, objective index for predictive disease incidence ranking of COVID-19 vaccine trial sites
Regulatory and Ethics | Selected strategic and regulatory guidance documents on Covid-19 Clinical Trials
Africa: AVAREF | WHO Africa
Europe: European Medicines Agency (EMA) | EMA safety monitoring plan and guidance on risk management planning for COVID-19 vaccines
- France: L’Agence nationale de sécurité du médicament et des produits de santé (ANSM)
- Germany: Bundesinstitut für Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte (BfArM) | Paul-Ehrlich-Institut
- UK: Pharmafield
WHO: COVID-19 Vaccine PQ | Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) R&D | Guidance for managing ethical issues
| Interim recommendations for use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine | Status of COVID-19 Vaccines within WHO EUL/PQ evaluation process
CROs and Sponsors
CEPI launched a call for Expression of Interest in April 2020 which aimed to identify organisations with capability and interest to act as sponsors or Contract Research Organisations (CROs) for clinical trials involving one or more COVID-19 vaccine candidates. A total of 84 organisations from 26 countries applied. CEPI has performed an in-depth evaluation of the received Expressions of Interest and has provided a summary to its COVID-19 developers. With advanced stage trials planned to start imminently, developers will have a repository of organisations from whom to seek assistance.
Please click below to find a list of all organisations who applied and who agreed to have their name and contact details shared on this webpage.
This information is provided as a service to COVID-19 vaccine developers to facilitate clinical trials and does not represent an endorsement of any specific organization by CEPI.